PhD holders, post docs
Supplementary grant, own funds are required!
1) Monthly grant: 1.150 EUR
2) Accident and health insurance, accommodation
a) If necessary, the OeAD-GmbH will take out an accident and health insurance on behalf of the grant recipient.
b) The OeAD-GmbH will endeavour to provide accommodation (student hall of residence or flat) for recipients of grants who wish to get accommodation arranged by the OeAD. Monthly costs: 220 EUR to 470 EUR (depending on how much comfort the recipients of grants want). An administration fee of 18 EUR per month is payable to the OeAD-GmbH for arranging accommodation.
The costs for insurance and accommodation have to be paid out of the grant by the recipient of the grant.
3) Recipients of grants are exempted from paying tuition fees.
4) Recipients of grants from non-European developing countries will receive a travel costs subsidy of 1.000 EUR maximum upon presentation of original documents. Travel expenses to Austrian representative authorities outside the home country are also refundable.
Applications are only open to university teachers who are primarily occupied with Austrian literature. Those in receipt of a Werfel grant can work as visiting researchers at university departments and carry out specialist studies in libraries, archives or at research institutions.
It is absolutely essential that prior contact with an educational or research institution in Austria has already been made.
There is no age limit.
This grant is intended to support young academics in the early years of their academic career. It does not, first and foremost, focus on lifelong learning.
The following documents have to be uploaded with the online application at www.scholarships.at:
- Two letters of recommendation by university lecturers (for these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they must contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must be no older than six months at the time of application.)
- Consent of a lecturer at the Austrian target university to supervise the applicant academically
- List of the titles of the courses taught
- Scan of your passport (page with the name and photo)
- Scan of your university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies
After completion of at least 12 months of research supported by the grant the scientific director of the Franz Werfel grant programme will decide about the admission in the follow-on support programme after consultation with the academic supervisor.
For the follow-on support the following measures are scheduled:
- invitation to the Franz-Werfel-Tagung on an annual basis
- book allowance on the occasion of this symposium
- a one-month research grant every three years
- habilitation grant
- publication allowance
• The selection process for all grants for Austria is competitive, i.e. there is no legal claim to a grant even if all application requirements are fulfilled.
• Applicants should take into consideration § 1 of the Data Protection Act, Federal Law Gazette of the Republic of Austria No. 165/1999, as amended, that the personal details contained in the application will be passed on to the authority dealing with their application, the contractual partners, the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs and in the exchange as well as to other authorities awarding grants in Austria and will expressly agree with that.
The selection process consist of the following stages:
1. Examination of the formal requirements
2. Examination of the application's general plausibility
3. Assessment and evaluation of the application by experts
4. Final decision by the BMWFW
Please note, that scholarship holders are not allowed to take up paid work in Austria while receiving an OeAD grant.
Every scholarship holder is obliged to prove that the scholarship was used in an appropriate manner by submitting a final report at the responsible OeAD Regional Office at the end of the scholarship stay.
The recipients of grants will get the grant contract (Letter of Award and Letter of Acceptance) from the OeAD-GmbH/ICM. The contract covers the following aspects: Start and end dates of the grant; monthly grant rate; grant payment modalities (including a possible travel cost subsidy); compulsory presence at the place of study; performance record; data protection; repayment requirements.
Details see: www.oead.at/scholars
Federal Ministries Act 1986 (Federal Law Gazette No. 76/1986), date of the version: July 1st, 2016
Federal Finance Act 2017
Funding according to Sect. 1 para. 2 Z.3 ARR 2014 (Federal Law Gazette II No.208/2014)
Contact at the OeAD-GmbH:
Teresa Karamat (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)